[OM] Re: Film Inspection

Subject: [OM] Re: Film Inspection
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:58:19 -0500
Call me nuts if you like, but I inspect all my B&W film.  Using a #3 green
filter, I unroll a bit of the film after 2/3 developing time and look at
the EMULSION side briefly, at a distance of 3 feet.  I have a foot switch
for the light so I don't have to turn it on and off with wet hands (!).
You must turn off any white light at the beginning of processing to get
your eyes used to the dark.

Looking at the film gives me piece of mind in case of camera problems (or
brain fade).  This technique also lets me experiment with film/developer
combinations that I might not have data for.

Learning to inspect does take a while to get used to, but I find it
enjoyable looking at the image forming.

BTW, T-Max films have a coating that precludes inspection.

Alan M-R