Re: [OM] tube from 3x teleconverter?

Subject: Re: [OM] tube from 3x teleconverter?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:03:52 -0700
on 5/21/02 5:03 PM, Conrad Vogel at conrad@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Is it possible to create an extension tube from a 3x teleconverter that
> won't vignette?
>
> I've done it with a 2x teleconverter and it works great as a very cheap
> auto extension tube.
>
> what would the macro results be with a long teleconverter like a 3x?
> They are so cheap....
>
> Corey

Seems like the only issue would be the overall length and the clear inside
diameter... I guess you'd have to try it. If I recall, the 2x converters are
typically about 1" or 25mm deep, and the bigger "7-element" converters are
more like 1-3/4" or ~40mm deep... but the biggest determination of
vignetting is going to be the clear inside diameter after you gut out the
glass. If it works it will be a lot cheaper than the Olympus 25mm auto tube
is.
--

Jim Brokaw