[OM] OT Where should I weekend - Paris

Subject: [OM] OT Where should I weekend - Paris
From: "Andy Gilbert" <gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 21:06:26 +0100
Thomas Clausen wrote:

Well, I do not know if Tom has been to Paris before, but the standard
touristic itinery involving a set of the most interresting sights can
actually be done in two half days

>>Maybe, but we spent 10 days there last year &  found we didn't get round
even the touristy bits.  My favourite moments, the sunny Sunday afternoon we
were there.  We spent some time walking along the banks of the Seine,
realised we had to visit the Musee d'Orsay (impressionist art) because it
was closed Monday , our last day.  Had a fairly rapid tour of the galleries
of Van Gogh, Degas, Manet etc, fascinating to see the real paintings &
surprising how much we recognised from a lifetime of chocolate boxes!  We
enjoyed this more than a day in the Louvre.  Then we wandered across the
Seine to the Louvre, and walked along from there through the Jardin de
Tuileries to the Place de la Concorde.  All of Paris seemed to be out in the
sunshine, which really transforms the city.  Everyone was smiling &
laughing, children were running about, shouting, having fun, saling model
Yachts in the pond.  It was truly magical, and something I'll always
remember.  But other days were good in different ways, The Eiffel Tower
(fascinating construction & history) Notre Dame, Sacre Couer & Montmartre
(Sunday morning, people out & about) Versailles, (No wonder they had a
revolution!), Shopping (my wife found 2 prs of shoes in the same shop at the
same time-& bought them! How likely is that?!) cafes, cake shops, the metro,
it was all wonderful.  The people have something of a reputation worldwide
for being rude (even more so than us Brits!) but we don't think so, HOWEVER,
they do like you to speak French, or at least try!  We found them very
friendly & polite, the beggars for example just sit there with a hat or box,
none of the hassle we tend to get, even here in Exeter. Am I going on a bit?
Sorry!  But I think Paris is way more interesting than London, which many
people are suggesting.

Andy Gilbert
Exeter
Devon