[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3380

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3380
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 21:06:04 -0700
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 13:49:54 -0700
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Slide viewer

I am looking for a good slide viewer. The one I used in the past had=20
a magnifying glass that was about 3" in size. I loaded the slides on=20
one side and then, by pushing a sliding lever, I could advance the=20
slides one at a time. It was battery operated.

This was about 20 years ago!!  I suspect that things have changed=20
quite a bit since then. I did go to the B&H site but they have so=20
many listed that I have no idea of where to start.

I do want to be able to load 36 slides and then view them at a=20
fairly significant magnification .. 4X6 would be fine.  I do have=20
loupes and also a slide scanner. I just need something that will=20
allow me to choose the slides I want to scan.

Norm

Norman S. Nadel, M.D.

I have an old Angenieux viewer with a reflecting lens that is just=20
wonderful. I got two for $15 years ago and gave one away. They were=20
mismarked and sold at B&H for about $75 - almost a Fang.

However, since I got a light table and a really nice distortion free=20
4X viewer I hardly use anything else any more. They have some pretty=20
nice little battery operated ones that would actually be easier to=20
carry around than a slide viewer. Certainly better quality than=20
almost any slide viewer.
- --=20
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

=95

I just bought a little Omega slide illuminator for $9.95 and a nice Russian-made Horizon 8X loupe that appears to be multi-coated for $28....I like the combination of these two very much! The day I bought these two, I used this combo to look at the slides I just had shot with my new Contax T3. Hoo-wa! I was very impressed with all three (especially the Contax! <grin>). I bought the Horizon on the recommendation of Shae,the lovely African-American woman who is one the manager types at Looking Glass in Berkeley, and I like it very much. It flat smokes a Peak 4X loupe for $40 for optical quality. Kalt makes a nice 4X5 light tablet that sell for about $47.50 that I am planning on buying at some point. Mamiya makes a very nice light tablet and some nice loupes, too.

-Stephen Scharf
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!