Re: [OM] (OT) Bears, Water Shots and vacations (long, sorry)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Bears, Water Shots and vacations (long, sorry)
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 10:15:46 -0500
Wayne Harridge wrote:

> Marc wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I can never understand why so many of my Stateside
> > mates say *Australia* is full of dangerous animals. I
>
> Yeah, can't think what those dangerous animals might be - crocs up north ?
> that's about all I can think of.
>
> ...Wayne

Well, you could add the ten most venomous snakes on the planet if you
count the seasnakes in the Coral Sea.  The great white shark snacks on
an occassional abalone diver and surfer, the bluering octopus is
exquisitly venomous, the funnel web spider makes the blackwidow and the
brown recluse spiders look like amateurs, and the box jellyfish can kill
with just a brush of the tentacles.  Other than that and the salty I
just don't understand all the fuss about Australian dangerous animals.
All they really lack are large, dangerous mammals other than Homo
sapiens and dingos.

Jerry Liles