[OM] Self-Healing Camera

Subject: [OM] Self-Healing Camera
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 21:25:14 -0500
I like this OM-4 I got about a year ago, but I posted a few months ago about a problem with the self-timer. I had used it for MLU/aperture stopdown until one day I tried it on a macro flower shot with flash and it wouldn't work. It appeared as though it was working correctly, making all the correct sounds and pitches through its 12 seconds of anticipation, but then it would fail to fire and just keep beeping, though the beeping was different from before (and didn't sound quite right). I would have to end the sequence by moving the tab and physically turning the self-timer off.

I had assumed this was a problem with using a flash with the self-timer for some reason because I'd never had a problem with the self-timer in any other circumstances. Then I did in fact experience the same problem without flash while shooting out west recently.

In both cases of failure the film comes back as a *non-exposure*. The shutter apparently never opened, though I am able to advance the camera to the next frame. That surprised me as I was guessing the frames would be over-exposed.

Well, I do like the camera very much, but without the self-timer it is little better than an OM-3 ;-) , so I figured I would have to do something about it. I moved the self-timer tab back and forth a couple times, set it on manual (no film in the camera), and tried it and lo and behold, it worked perfectly. I'm delighted of course but very surprised. Is this a type of switch that gets dirty and needs to be exercised like an OM-2S ASA dial?

Anyway, please share my joy, but anybody else run into anything like this?

Joel W.