[OM] ( OM ) Zoom lens adjustments.

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Zoom lens adjustments.
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 12:41:34 +1200
Hi Folks,

I have a question I want to put to John H or Clint in particular, if they can
spare the time.

For my sins, I now have a Zuiko 35-70 f/3.6.

It has sustained a couple of severe whacks to the edge of the front lens
element tube which were roughly repaired with the careful use of a pair of
pliers as far as I can tell. A filter can now screw on again, but it has been
suggested to me that should it ever be required to get the front lens elements
out, the residual out-of-round could prevent that.

As far as I can tell, all glass is in fine condition. I will have some shots
back
late Monday.

But wait, there's more ... ...  ... ...

There are two / three other problems which may or may not be related to the
frontal damage.

First, the DOF button does not engage the DOF mechanism until it is part-
way in, so pressing the DOF button does not stop the lens down to the full
aperture that it is set at.

Second, the focus mechanism does not focus exactly on infinity when it is
turned over to the infinity mark; it goes quite some way past. This varies
depending on the zoom distance selected.

Third, as the zoom distance is altered, the selected focus alters. It is
supposed to stay constant.

I suspect that the person who dropped / banged the lens has fiddled with the
setting screws under the rubber grips, since the Zoom rubber grip has been
replaced with a narrower one of focus-grip style rubber; and the focus rubber
had been moved and the aluminium strip underneath that covers the focus
slot and screw, had been rucked up so that it made a lump under the rubber.

My 2 questions; is the DOF fixable so that it pushes the aperture levers all
the way; and

are the two focus problems fixable, and how long would it take a skilled
person?

I went to see my local OM repair wiz, but he's on holiday for a few weeks.

Cheers, Brian