[OM] Re: 35/70-3.6 vs 35/2 vs 28/48-4 LONG

Subject: [OM] Re: 35/70-3.6 vs 35/2 vs 28/48-4 LONG
From: "Dave Dougherty" <davdou@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 20:48:21 -0700
I had a very rewarding and interesting experience today.  I went to Balboa
Park to the Japanese Friendship Garden.  I took the two zooms and my 35/2MC
along with the OM-1 loaded with 200asa color neg film from the local drug
store.  The mission was to scout out a location for my entry in Tope 10 and
to try all three lenses on the same subject at 35mm (dictated by the prime
of course) at or near the same f-stop, etc.  Not real scientific, but I
thought it would be fun.

The local 1-hour lab at Long's Drug has a new digital processor and I had
had them process some quikee shooting with a Retina IIa I was playing with.
The prints were very sharp, so I thought I would let them process the effort
of today shot with the OM gear.

I shot 24 shots, 18 were 3-set shots with the 35/2, 28/48 and 35/70 shooting
hand held at no less than 1/250 and at f-16 or f-11.  The results are really
wonderful.  In a 4x6 print, using a loupe, I can see that the 35/2 is just
very slightly sharper.  As a practical matter at these f stops and shutter
speeds there is no practical difference for my money.  The interesting thing
is that the 28-48 renders a slightly different color caste than do the other
two lenses.  Nothing that you would notice unless you have the three prints
side by side.  This is true in all 6 sets, so it is consistent.

The digital processor allows me to hope that I have found a way to have my
efforts printed to reflect the capabilities of the OM system and my limited
photographic abilities.  In the past I have lamented loud and long that I
couldn't get it done.

If you shoot color negative, seek out a digital lab.  I think you will be
impressed.

Finally, the shots today are gorgeous!  I don't have a way to scan them to
put them up for review.  I am going to shoot some Portra 160VC at the
gardern and have it scanned to CD as well as printed.  I hope to get my Tope
10 entry from that effort.

I don't usually go on this long, but I thought the concept might inspire
some of you to revisit color negative films.

Dave Dougherty