Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) lens - AT-X 80-200 mm F-2.8 and Tamron 350mm mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) lens - AT-X 80-200 mm F-2.8 and Tamron 350mm mirror
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 01:43:34 -0700
Was that 160GBP snipe you? I'd be sorry, but you already have one! I was out and it was an automatic snipe through auctionstealer.

People pay that kind of money for a Tamron 350mm/5.6 mirror lens? I think I thought I would be use minet more often that I actually do. It isn't very flexible, so it doesn't end up in the bag, so it doesn't get used.

I agree the Tokina will be a much more useful lens. I have the Tamron SP equivalent and it's a great lens. I decided to try the Tokina for the lower weight, smaller size and less intrusive, permanent tripod mount. Gary's tests give the edge to the Tamron, but I'm not sure I will see the difference in practical shooting and a lighter, smaller lens is a lens I'm likely to use more often.

I think the price is OK, but not a great deal. After using his (clearly stated) exchange rate and paying for airmail and insurance, it's more like USD280. On the other hand, if I really like the lens, it will be well worth it. I certainly prefer the Tokina 35-200 to the Tamron 35-210, handling is similar, but the Tokina is smaller and half a pound lighter!

Moose

Roger D. Key wrote:

Congratulations on buying a great lens, Moose; a reasonably good price
(165GBP/230USD).

The price did not surprise me (my snipe bit the dust!), but the price of
the Tamron 350mm/5.6 mirror lens sold almost at the same time did; 160GBP.
I think you got a much better buy. I have both lenses, and the 80-200 is
far better. The 350 has its place though, especially as a compact
backpacking super-tele; I paid under 50USD for mine.