Re: [OM] Shuddering over 100/2.8 (was: 135mm f3.5 better than tests show

Subject: Re: [OM] Shuddering over 100/2.8 (was: 135mm f3.5 better than tests show?)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 16:34:18 -0700 (PDT)
> Help me here. What are you referring to as "serrated". What I
> mean is, where are the serrations?

With the lens off your camera and no caps in place, put the
aperature at F4.  Press the DOF button and watch the iris close
down.  In my lens, the iris blades leave little serrated edges
at F4 and F5.6.  (at F4, the serrations are quite large)

> And one other thing,  don't all shudders
> such as the
> OM's produce a starred effect as the lens opens up?

Shudders are usually caused by consuming too much coffee.  The
star effect happens with most lenses as you close the iris down.
It is caused by the defraction of light past the edges of the
iris blades.  Some lenses star better than others.  I had one
non-Zuiko zoom lens that had nine blades.  The star effect was
downright grotty. (everything else was nice about that lens,
though).

Most 100mm lenses will not produce much of a star effect, as
this is more common with wide-angle lenses.  Mine has more stars
than the average galaxy.

AG-Schnozz