[OM] [OT] G2

Subject: [OM] [OT] G2
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:59:31 -0500
Stephen,

>I think I know...  why I keep one and why Bill got rid of his...
>The G2 (and the G1) has a very strange and unnatural autofocus system...
VERY well put.

>it looks like a rangefinder... taste like a rangefinder ... but it behaves
more
>like a point and shoot autofocus... :
G2 people get really out of joint when you say this, but it really does act
like a really good P&S>

>- -because of the zoom viewfinder that adapts to the lens length you don't
>have the out of frame abilities of a range finder
That part didnt bother me so much.

>- -because there is no visual reminder of the focus / out of focus
situation
>you never know what is in or out focus...
The biggers problem is the, shall we say, vague indication of where the
camera decides to focus. It seems to me that there may be some camera to
camera variation on the focus spot in the VF.

>- -the autofocus memory... is tricky... and very confusing...
>but the lenses are wonderful... the electronic is very performing... and so
>on... Contax missed the jackpot in putting an autofocus where a normal
split
>image (may be with some kind of assistance) would have been better...
>Personnaly I keep my G2 and stuff besides my OM3... It's complementary and
>sometime autofocus, second curtain flash, and other special features are
>very useful...
Very well made, very good lenses, just need a little more help in the focus
confirmation dept.

>Strange how zuikoholics are tempted by out of the norm products...
Absoutely. Like me and the Xpan. A marvelously intuitive camera to operate,
with great optics, but some problems in getting prints made and slides
projected.

No one said we were normal!

Bill Pearce