Re: [OM] Something strange on the evil one...

Subject: Re: [OM] Something strange on the evil one...
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:46:10 -0700
dreammoose wrote:

You had a question? Oh, yeah, Gooey-Duck? Some may think there is a danger of looking foolish in answering your questions seriously and thus be inhibited from doing so. I do seem to recall one serious answer. Like that correspondent, I haven't done business with that seller, but do sometimes enjoy his listings. I still find the thought of gooey duck somewhat off-putting, while a good pressed duck is a dish of delight..

I've done busines with gooeyduck, no complaints.

The name is a phonetic spelling of geoduck, Panopea abrupta, the largest burrowing clam in the world (over 7 pounds), found along the shores of Puget Sound. For those who grew up on the waterfront, geoducks are reminiscent of backbreaking hard work -- the clams burrow down a yard or more into the mud, as fast as two practiced people with shovels can dig. Most people who dig for them don't get them.

The neck on the geoduck is far too large to retract into the shell, and the phallic appearance of the clam has made it an Asian aphrodesiac. Tourists in the Pike Place Market regularly gasp, turn red, or fall into fits of laughter when they see their first geoduck. Evergreen State College in Olympia uses the geoduck as the school mascot, along with the motto "Omni Extaris," or "Let it all hang out." (My twin brother went to Evergreen.)

They're quite tasty in chowder.

--
Joshua Putnam | 25426 106th Ave SE #C6 | Kent, WA  98031
Work: 253/859-2402 | Cell: 206/799-8324