RE: [OM] Mushy foam

Subject: RE: [OM] Mushy foam
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 16:13:39 +0200
Regarding silica gel, is it not necessary to recharge it reasonable
regularly by warming it up? In my local hardware store, I can buy a
'dehumidifier' that consists of a holder for a large bag of silica gel (I
think), that sits over a water holder. Instructions are to replace the
silica with a new refill when it begins to drip water into the water
holder. That suggests that silica gel can get pretty wet once the original
wrapping round a camera or lens box is removed.
Anyone know the correct answer? I know that the small packets of gel often
have instructions printed on them to throw them away.

Roger Key

Jim Timpe wrote:

The open cell foam used in this application is quite hygroscopic, and
leaving a camera in a moderate to high humidity atmosphere is an invitation
to rampant rot.  The little silica filled desiccant packs are probably of
greater value in keeping the excess moisture from being sucked up by our
camera bodies than they are at keeping fungus out of lenses.