[OM] ( OM ) The BIN bug got me

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) The BIN bug got me
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 11:55:01 +1200
Hi Folks,

Well, I did it; I blew my discretionary budget for_quite_some_time.

Pressed the BIN button ( a first ) on Item #1348761960, a Samyang 18~28 at
Cameta camera.

Your resident hoarder looked up the Pop Photo review of this lens (Feb
1992), and isn't it amazing how quickly one can learn things that formerly
seemed too difficult? in Pop Photo Nov 1990 there's an explanation of Pop
Photo SQF charts. So now I have a MUCH better understanding of these.

The Samyang will do all I'll want for some time; the quality up to a print size
of 8x10 - 11x14 should be very good with knowledgeable use of the aperture
setting. And how often do I get prints this large? Never. (Summer exchanges
excluded).

A couple of quick phone calls to the very friendly people at Cameta near the
end of their long day helped a lot.

So now I can stop fretting about having only one wide-angle below the 35 of
my 35~105 Zuiko. (My Zuiko 24/2.8). And get on with other things. There's
no way I could get a Zuiko 18 or even a 21 at a price I could consider and I
have been looking at 28s lately. This does the lot competently within my
needs. Or should. Any failings will probably be due to MY short-comings in
operating it.

Now the waiting begins.  Actually, it won't be long. Mail from the USA to the
opposite side of the globe is surprisingly fast.

Thanks again to all who proffered advice. It all helped.

BTW, Cameta have probably had this lens on their shelves for maybe 10
years, and may be starting to panic a little with the *demise* of the OM
system. The 1992 price in Pop Photo was $US 279.  Cameta had it on the
bay for 130 and is listed in their site as 150, I think.

Brian