Re: [OM] Film scanner advice wanted

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner advice wanted
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 14:21:38 -0700
I went through about a year ago, talked to others with various solutions and did a lot of internet research. I ended up with a CanoScan 2710, with VUESCAN.EXE to replace the bundled software and have been very happy with it.

A few things I read or learned in the process that may not be general knowledge and affected my choice plus what I've learned using it: - SCSI can be troublesome. A number of people reported trouble getting a new scanner to work with existing SCSI cards. The CanoScan came with a bundled card, reducing trouble and cost. SCSI is potentially faster than USB I, depending on how fast the scanner can produce data.

- Multiple scans to reduce low level noise, dark areas in slides, (light areas for negs haven't been a problem) is an important feature. Vuescan adds this capability to some scanners that don't come with it, including the CanoScan.

- Digital Ice software is a software solution to a hardware design issue. The design of the light sources in the Nikon, Minolta and ?? scanners tends to image dust, scratches, etc. on the film surface really effectively. ICE does have an effect on sharpness. Some other scanners, the CanoScan among them, don't need ICE because of their optical design. Careful handling and a can of dust-off do a good job.

- The cost of an APS adapter varies by about $100 between brands. With an APS camera in the family, that is significant. It was free with the CanoScan.

- There are some good, through tests out on the internet with excellent image examples. I recall DPreview.com, but there are others as well.

I've had excellent results from slides and negs and amazing results from some APS negs; quality 8x10s from about half of a neg! It seems crummy process/printing sells this format way short of it's potential. I paid $500, but they are probably cheaper now, and I see they now have a USB model.

What do I wish it had, now that I've lived with it?
- Faster scans.  More $$
- Automated scanning of multiple images. More $$
- More dpi?? A lot more $$ for me. I would need a new computer; Photoshop already gets slooow with the 2720dpi images, and 10 gigs of hard drive are almost full..... I'm also not sure I'd see that much difference in the actual prints?

Wish I oculd tell you more about other brand/models, but I only have the one.

  Moose

Richard Hawkins wrote:

I'm looking for advice from of the film scanner users. I am interested in being able to scan negatives, slides, and possible my wife's APS "film". I want to find out more about the Polaroid, Canon, and Scanwit scanners, digital ICE advantages and disadvantages. Also I believe most of the scanners have been SCSI devices, any problems with cards or drivers and Windows 98 or Mac OS9 (yes I am a computer junkie and have both types of machines). Are their any problems with the negative or slide adapters for any of these machines. Software advice concerning bundled software and Vuescan would also be helpful. I will be using Photoshop 5.5 in Windows 98. Lastly, I need direction to websites or reviews of these would also help. Sorry for all the questions but I want to make a informed purchase. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Rich