Re: [OM] 28~105/2.8 Tamron first impression

Subject: Re: [OM] 28~105/2.8 Tamron first impression
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 11:24:41 -0400
Wayne wrote:

>The main problem with the Tamron, IMHO, (besides its bulky ness)
>is that the focus ring does not turn much and is not damped as
>well as the zuiko, like a lot of manual versions of auto-focus
>lenses. Hence the short turn made it difficult for me to focus
>accurately. I us the zuiko 35-80/2.8 the majority of the time. It
>handles well.

The 28~105/2.8 Tamron got here yesterday.  B&H may have left out
part of the accessories, because I couldn't find the wheels.  This
lens is HUMONGOUS!  At "rest," nested in the 28mm position, it's
roughly equivalent to the 180/2.8 Zuiko, and when cranked out to
105mm, it's about the same as the 300/4.5 Zuiko.  Attached to an
OM-4Ti/Motor Drive 2 combo, it makes a hefty package.  Looks
impressive, too.  In fact, on a camera sans motor drive, it's sort
of unwieldy and awkward, but with the motor drive, it feels right.

I never use the Olympus camera straps, which are just plain cheap
and tacky, but with a good, wide, padded Tamrac neck strap, it's
not really an uncomfortable burden.  I've wandered about the house
this morning with it around my neck for more than an hour just to
see if I'll need a back brace when wearing it.

But now the goodest part.  On the 4Ti, with a Beattie 45-degree
split prism screen, it pops in and out of focus so positively that
you can almost hear it, even at 28mm.  It goes from 28mm to 105mm
with one quarter turn of the BIG, WIDE zoom ring, and it takes
just over an eighth of a turn to focus from 1.4 ft. to infinity.
I like that, at least so far.  I've always thought some of the
Zuikos went too far the other way, requiring 300 degrees or so of
twisting in some cases to go from near to far focus.

It's raining cats and dogs here today, so I'm not real inclined to
venture forth.  Plus, I'm sort of supposed to be working at home
today -- telecommuting, you know.  Of course, I could blow that
foolishness off and go shoot my watery TOPE entry with the new toy.

Walt Wayman