Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200 f/2.8 - tripod mount

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200 f/2.8 - tripod mount
From: w shumaker <rlist@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 10:51:24 -0400
Just to emphasize, the tripod mount is essential for this lens, however
most used ones do not have the tripod mount as they are rather fragile
at the hinge, where there is not much metal (aluminum). They are also a
bit clumsy, IMO, and come loose easily, hence people tend to over
tighten (moi) and snap the ring at the hinge.

But, there is a tripod mount solution. I took a standard olympus tripod
mount (the one used for the auto-extension tube, the 85-250, the 300mm,
etc lens) and ground off the nub on the inside of the ring (with a
dremel tool). Next, the oly tripod mount has two guides at the
expansion point. Remove them with a screwdriver. Then it will just fit
(very snug but it fits) on the Tamron 80-200. I find that the oly
tripod mount makes the lens easy to hand hold, and is a lot more solid
than the original Tamron. You can get the oly tripod mount from John
Hermanson, but check for availability. When/if I get a chance, I will
photograph the lens with the oly mount.

Wayne