Re: [OM] Sniping services WAS: Zuiko 50mm f1.2 cost?

Subject: Re: [OM] Sniping services WAS: Zuiko 50mm f1.2 cost?
From: "Richard Allen" <dickallen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 21:19:50 -0400
Bryan,
You don't need a sniping program, if you are willing to watch the item that
you want. Just use two windows on your monitor screen. One with your bid in
the ready to submit position and the other open to check the time left in
the auction. I use a stop  watch showing the number of seconds left to the
end of auction time. I click on "Place bid" with about 5 seconds to go. I'm
usually successful at it (to say nothing of the excitement of the chase).
This is presuming you have entered an amount that is higher than the
competition's. One of the things that must be determined before you enter a
bid, "Just how much am I willing to pay for the item".
If there is not a lot of activity in the bidding process, you can sometimes
save money by not entering any bids (don't tip your hand) until the last
second. Bid the maximum amount that you are willing to pay. That way, you
are not upset so much, because the item went for more than you were willing
to pay anyway, ( my favorite car is a Ferrari P3, but the reserve is always
too high :~)).
If the bidding is heated, this will keep anyone out there from entering a
higher bid. There is the issue of a slow modem though. I use a cable modem
which is almost instantaneous when entering bids, a 56K modem may be another
story. Timing would change a bit.
Good Luck,
Richard