RE: [OM] Mirror lenses

Subject: RE: [OM] Mirror lenses
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 22:02:28 -0500
Thanks Dan - that confirms my suspicions then.

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Anyone know which are the better mirror lenses - the 500mm f.8 variety? A
> few of them look as though they are made at the same plant with different
> name, different color painted numbers etc.
>
> Any highly recommended? Any to avoid like plague?

 I did a bunch of research on this a while ago, and as far as I can tell,
you're right; all the ones selling on e*ay for about $130 or so are
basically the same. Reviews of the Phoenix/Vivitar/etc lens seemed to say
that it was fuzzy, lacked contrast, and in general not worth even the small
amount you'd be paying for it.

 So I kept my eyes open and grabbed a Tamron 500/8 SP BBAR for, again, just
over US$100; initial shots suggest that it's a rather nice lens. Sure, the
bokeh is awful (or distinctive, depending on your perspective) but it takes
nice sharp colourful shots, it's surprisingly easy to focus, and it's a lot
smaller and lighter than the equivalent non-mirror lens would be.

 Of course, what you _really_ want is the Zuiko 500/8, but those are even
harder to come by, and cost a substantial amount more.

 -- dan