[OM] Filters, hoods, and heads...

Subject: [OM] Filters, hoods, and heads...
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 09:22:10 -0500
I've used a single filter with the appropriate hood lots of times with no
vignetting, even with thicker polarizers. Not tried it with two filters. You
should a REALLY GOOD reason to use two filters. Of course, one good reason
would be to add softness.

On tripod heads: I can't remember which Manfrotto number was cited, or by
whom. I just can't get used to the new numbers.
I would highly recommend the 3275, formerly the Bogen 410. This is a geared
head, referred to as compact, and as geared heads go, it certainly is. Most
geared heads are really big, cast iron monstrosities, whose size and weight,
well, outweigh their operation and utility.

The 410 (this number is prominently displayed on the side, to add to the
confusion) is about the size of a large pan and tilt head, but without the
handles. It uses thumb knobs for adjustment, which can be disengaged
momentarily to allow quick rough movements, then fine adjustments with the
gears. Once you've used one of these, you'll never use a ball head again!
this may be the best tripod head ever! B&H has it for about $170.

Bill Pearce