Compensating for film. lighting and development (was RE: [OM] Velvia 100

Subject: Compensating for film. lighting and development (was RE: [OM] Velvia 100!)
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:24:45 -0400
At times, I've carried the grey & colour patch page torn from my Kodak
colour manual & used it for the first two "wasted" shots on each roll,
taking the picture in the same lighting as the subject. I also put my name
and address on the card in case the roll got lost, and attached a cheap
digital watch showing the date & time.

I have a packet of "Kodak Color Separation Guides" (marked $1.95) which
contains 3 14" cards:
  - grey scale (good for gamma/contrast control)
  - color control patches (good for colour control)
  - register marks
which printers use.
Unfortunately, my "grey" patches have yellowed slightly over the last 30
years (they apparently used photo paper and didn't clear all the hypo), but
the colour patches look good, even the white.  They're now $30.35 (without
the register mark card) at
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/kodcolsepgui1.html and no doubt
many other places.

You could also shoot your camera bag or reflector for the first two wasted
shots to serve as a reference - grey bags preferred. Then when printing,
you can easily adjust your colour printing meter (or photo program) to a
standard setting to compensate the colour for lighting, development, and
film type. At least it serves as a base setting before you play with it.

If you do any of this, keep your lens slightly out of focus to make the
colours more even. I fill the negative with the card and try to make my
address somewhat legible.

Tom