Re: [OM] in need of a repair piece for my OM4T

Subject: Re: [OM] in need of a repair piece for my OM4T
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:27:01 -0700
on 4/29/02 7:06 AM, John Hudson at jahudson@xxxxxxx wrote:

> John Hermanson wrote:
>>
>> I think the screw is a left hand thread.  Try screwing in the reverse
>> direction, don't overtighten.
>
> The end of the little screw has separated from the underside of the
> re-wind crank lever. The screw has broken off or has come unglued.
> Either way there is no screw hole at the end of the crank lever into
> which to insert the screw as the spindle to hold the knurled rewind
> knob. I need to completely replace the re-wind crank lever along with
> the attached screw and knob in place.
>
> John Hudson
> Vancouver, BC

If you unscrew the rewind knob assembly from the spindle (open the back,
wedge a chopstick or screwdriver into the film spindle forklegs, and unscrew
the knob as normally, the reverse of the film-rewinding direction) the knob
will come off. There is a little spring and washer under the knob that
allows the flip-out lever to 'spring' into place. These will come off...
then there is a little spindle that hold the fold-out arm into the rest of
the knob. This can be disengaged fairly easily, it usually flops out on its
own. Then you can replace the arm with one from any OM, I think... a black
one would match best. I don't know if Olympus sells the arm (with
screw/knurled knob) separately, but maybe someone has a parts camera...?
--

Jim Brokaw