[OM] [OT] rangefinder starter system

Subject: [OM] [OT] rangefinder starter system
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:03:11 -0500
"This is OT, so please feel free to reply directly to me at
richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx . For my continual 40th birthday midlife crisis :-) I
am considering a rangefinder to SUPPLEMENT (and not replace) my OM system."
Great idea. A RF will let you look at things differently (not necessarily
better, but differently, which can be better). The RF is a great camera in
many situations, in some better than slr, but, all in all, the slr is more
versatile. One would limit the types of photography one could do with only
an RF.

"1) My impression is that 35mm seems to be more a standard type of lens for
RF? Is that right?"
Oh, but the same can be said for slrs as well. When I started in photography
in the late sixties (want to see my dinosaur photos?), that was routine. The
35/2 Nikkor was ubiquitous.

"2) Assuming I'm not Bill Gates and can't afford Leica, is the new Bessa R-2
a good choice? How about the Contax G1/2? Konica Hexar?"
The Bessa R2 makes me salivate. I have looked at the Bessa R, and the VF is
as bright and clear as any I've seen, including Leica, and the addition of
the bayonet mount overcomes my misgivings. It also seems that they have
improved the build  quality. There is still the sound of the shutter,
though.

I owned a G2 outfit, and long time list members will remember my opinion of
the camera. I can only say, "What was I thinking!?" The nature of the
autofocus system makes it at best a special case. The lenses, however, are
remarkable! I sold mine, and spent the money on an Xpan. I thoroughly love
it!

There are two Hexars, the fixed lens version, and the M mount version. Both
are pricey. I've heard mixed reviews of both. I think there are some list
members that may have more experience with them (I see you on the RF list!).

Good luck. I've owned a few, a Leica III something, a Canon VI-T, and the
Contax G2. I think everyone, at sometime in their life, wants a Leica, but
who can afford one? There seems to be a siren song from the RF.

Dont forget, also, the Mamiya 6 and the Bronica 645RF. Very compact and good
lenses.

Good luck, keep is informed, and if you have the original hood for the 28-48
and decide to get out of OM, give me a call!

Bill Pearce