[OM] the mysterious F280

Subject: [OM] the mysterious F280
From: "gries" <gries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:56:24 -0500
Alright, let's see if I have this straight:

According to the chart, the "sweet spot" seems to be around 1/500 f2.8 @
2 meters (for ISO 100). This seems to be what most people are "going
for" when shooting full synchro - that is fast shutter speed, wide
aperture, and reasonable working distance.

However, I am still confused by the comment that fast film would be
preferable.  When using fast film, the ambient exposure will be very
high (i.e. f16 @ 1/500) when one would want this to be the opposite
since the F280 has a constant output at a given working distance.

As mentioned before, we only need to change the flash to subject
distance to really affect the influence of the F280.  I also understand
from the chart that this flash is preferable for macro work by virtue of
its ability to shoot high shutter speeds, but still maintain some
background when shooting in bright light (f16 @ 125 for ISO 100).  Is
this correct?

Sadly, my -4Ti is off being serviced.  I hope to give it a good workout
when it gets back, and figure out what I can REALLY do with the F280!

Thanks!

Bob