RE: [OM] Any Camera Designers?

Subject: RE: [OM] Any Camera Designers?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:22:49 +0200 (CEST)
> > It occurs to me that as 70's era mechanical cameras
> > become more rare and modern cameras introduce more
> > electronic bits whose main feature seems to be planned
> > obselesence, that a good business man could make a modern
> > mechanical camera with mounts for various favorite lens
> > families.
> >
> > A third party body if you will.

Actually, I am kinda toying with that idea, although I am confident that
building a 35mm camera myself would be extremely much more difficult than
the building of large format cameras that I've been tinkering with thus
far.

I had a brief thought of equipping the lens plane of a LF camera with an
OM-mount a while back, but upon thinking it through I dropped the
thought. I remember having a good technical reason for not doing this, but
I've forgotten what it was ;)

I actually think that building a camera with a large number of electronic
circuits is *easier* and *cheaper* than building a mechanical camera such
as the OM1 and OM3Ti. E.g. I would probably be able to fairly easilly
device a precise high-speed electronic shutter (at least the timing
circuitry etc), whereas the thought of making a mechanical shutter really
scares me. Also, electronic transmission of apeture and shutter settings
to the meter has to be easier to make and maintain (just an electrical
wire that never moves) than having mechanical transmission (in OM's this
is transmitted through a string that moves and pulls various levers,
right?)

Of course, I am biased by having a background in electrical and computer
engineering, so to me anything that takes a current (and preferebly is
programmable) is immediatelt intuitive - and anything mechanical is pure
magic ;)

(Hey, I recently bought a dremel, so I am trying......)

Anyways, I've long thought that getting Clint and John together with a
couple of toolmakers (I know that there is at least one on the list) to
manufacture "Leica-OM1's" (hand-crafted, high-quality) would be a very
very good idea ;)

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering