Re: [OM] Portraits

Subject: Re: [OM] Portraits
From: "Mickey Trageser" <vze3m2s8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:26:14 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In general they've worked well. I especially like LeRoy's photo.

Thanks, I liked his confident gaze. Attitude can be as important as
complexion.

> I think you had Paul & Lyn & Linda Smith too close to the backdrop as it
> shows up grey/blue behind and should be black black.

The backdrop, bench, flash, aperture and camera never moved. I think the
comparative levels were thrown off balance when I processed the scans. Auto
levels worked out slightly different, I assume due to the slightly different
amounts of white and fleshtone.

> I would want to re-position Lynne with her head pointed down a little so
that
> less of the upper gum-line showed in her smile. Not very flattering - but
that's
> my personal point of view which others may not share.

Good tip! Lynne was first up and in a hurry (she was between classes). She
flashed a big smile while I was verifying the focus on her eyes and I shot.
I agree that it could have been better if I had been able to mute the smile
slightly, but her eyes smiled big too. I also took shots of a young woman
that has what can best be described as a paralyzed eye. I don't believe it's
glass, but it moves less and the lid is slow. I could have turned her head
to put her good eye in the light and let the shadows diminish the other, but
I wasn't confident in how to approach her on that in front of the others.
Another people lesson to learn.

> Possibly I would want to use a Softar filter for Linda. And somehow have
the
> flash less for her or somehow reduce the contrast for her.
>
> The fact that you have got such relaxed smiles from them all indicates
> something very positive about your way of working with them (try and get a
> smile from me <g> )

They're a good group, and I've been recording their concerts for years now.
I finally pulled the camera out of the bag and it was a good experience for
all, I believe. Might have been a bit different if they had been strangers.
That will be a hurdle for me.

> Brian
 Thanks!
Mickey