Re: [OM] wrong Modern info about F280; eBay

Subject: Re: [OM] wrong Modern info about F280; eBay
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:22:19 +0200
On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 07:46:38AM -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:
>> "...Although illumination provided by the F280 flash is constant in FP mode,
>> the amount of fill can be controlled relative to ambient light by selecting
>> higher or lower shutter speeds. This is accomplished by changing the lens
>> aperture in automatic mode."
>
> Although Modern is almost always technically correct, this is wrong, wrong,
> wrong, wrong, wrong.

Ah, Wiliam's correction was faster.
Yes, as result of the recent thread, I´m sure of this too.  The advantage is,
that
for exposure, it really don`t matter what apperture you use. You can chose the
aperture what you wan`t for depth of field reasons.

So the possibilities to infuence the fill in effect are reduced to the mehtods
described in the Anderas Feininger`s books from the 60`s:
* changing the flash->object distance
        - using the synch cord
        - changing distance and focal lenght
* using ND-filter (handkerchief) to reduce the flash output.

It is really sad, that Olympus didn`t develop a more powerful F-flash, with
Power regulation possibilities.
What I´m really missing is a zoom head for the F280. It is really nice that
it covers 28mm, almost 24mm wide angel lenses. But for lot of fill-in situation
it would be nice to have the light concentrated to a smaler area.

Frieder Faig

P.S:
> How can anyone condemn eBay when KEH sells stuff for 50% more than eBay
> prices?

I don`t condemn ebay for it`s buisness. I condemn ebay for the way
they do their buisness: their arrogance, and irrespective exploitation
of their marked position. Sure shareholder like it.
Idecided to break with ebay some time ago.