Re: [OM] OT: Roadtrip

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Roadtrip
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:24:55 -0400
At 9:36 PM -0400 4/23/02, Pschings@xxxxxxx wrote:

OK, I decided I need to take a vaction. Alone. Well, me and my OMs. I'm
figuring a 7-10 day road trip, starting in Rhode Island. My first thought was
possibly head up to Montreal, to Ottowa, Toronto, then back through NY or PA.
Should be about 1500 miles or so, which is around 150-200 miles per day,
which I think is reasonable.

The point of this trip, besides the R&R, is to bring back a lot of images
(actually I'd be happy with just a few good ones!). I'm looking to the list
for suggestions - alternate routes, must-see locations, etc... Is an average
of 200 miles a day too much? I'm expecting to do this trip some time in late
June or July.

200 miles a day is way too much. That's 3-4 hours a day of unbroken highway
driving, 5-6 hours of unbroken secondary-roads. If you stop to take pictures,
that's pretty much the whole day, no vacation at all. I would go for half that.
Pick a series of locations and try to get a day or two in each place before
moving to the next, with plenty of time for stuff you didn't expect to see.

Of course an enormous amount depends on the kinds of pictures you want to take. June and July are pretty dry, so the natural beauty inland can be kinda subtle. On the other hand, there will be lots of other folks on vacation, there will be independence day and such celebrations in all the little towns (here in VT we have lots of folks with flintlocks).

I would suggest maybe Maine or the Maritime Provinces -- a day of driving
should get you up into an area where you can hang out and meander around
peacefully. But it all depends on your tastes.

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx