Re: [OM] Old Oly OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Old Oly OM
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 01:41:51 -0700
For the mechanically competent who understand how the top is held on. it's pretty easy to get at the prism and clean out the guck. The problem is where the guck has eaten through the protective paint and desilvered the prism. This looks like some nasty dark greenish-black sludge creeping up from the bottom of the viewfinder. New prisms are not available and resilvering is not a home project for most people. The simplest solution is to clean the desilvered area very throughly and carefully and put everything back together (no, no new foam). The combination of the refractive index of the prism, the angle of the top facets and the darkness inside the top is such that the desilvered area is hardly noticeable. Another solution is to pick up a non-working OM-10 or G(20) and use the identical prism from it in the OM-1 or 2. These cameras didn't have foam on the prism (neither did many later OM-1 & 2s),

Moose

Wayne Harridge wrote:

tom wagner <sally30@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How long before old foam turns to goo is it too late..or is their still hope in reviving the ol' gal?

How long ? I think this depends on environmental conditions, however I wouldn't expect too many OM-1s to have good original foam. Replacement of the back seals and mirror buffers can be done by anyone with reasonable mechanical skills (there are instructions on the FAQ I believe). If there is rotting foam on the pentaprism, I would recommend a professional to repair it.