Re: [OM] Event Photography Advise -Please! [Reprise]

Subject: Re: [OM] Event Photography Advise -Please! [Reprise]
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 21:26:25 -0500
At 19:48 4/20/02, Bill wrote:
[snip]
Maybe I'll just use the zoom for the graduates recieving their degrees,
and then switch to the 35 (or maybe the 50) for the group shot -- that one I
can move around wherever I want, and I'll have up to 60 people stacked in
three rows(I don't know how many grads we have this year - they come from
all over the midwest and texas)
[snip]

Watch how many rows you stack. Try to keep it to three if at all possible. As you add depth with more rows than that, even if using monolights and umbrellas, you will have enough light falloff (at inverse square of distance) the front and rear rows will have a noticeable difference in illumination level.

About the camera neck strap . . .
I take the neck strap off entirely if I'm picking the camera up and setting it down a lot, and that's when the wrist strap becomes handiest. If I'm standing and holding it for long periods, I leave the neck strap on and use it to bear a little of the weight when not shooting while keeping my hand on the grip. This cuts down on hand fatigue.

If the neck strap is on the camera, it's always around my neck now. A few years ago I had a couple otherwise good photographs badly shadowed by a dangling neck strap (that wasn't around my neck). Now, all the straps have quick releases on them so if they're not being used, they can be easily removed. I use the Tamrac N45 which has marvelously thick padding for the back of the neck. The feel a little stiff new, but the suede softens very nicely with a little age. An alternative is the Domke canvas strap with it's no-slip feature, but it doesn't have the nice padding.

-- John