Re: [OM] (OM) Performance of Zuiko 40/2

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Performance of Zuiko 40/2
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 16:31:52 -0400
That's essentially correct. Modern Leica lenses are designed to be used wide open, and usually deliver superb performance wide open. After stopping down 2-3 stops, they are typically equal with most other top-notch brands.

With SLR lenses, it's also important to have lenses with wide apertures to also allow easier viewing and autofocus capabilities. Few modern SLR lenses are optimized for wide-open use. Rangefinder lenses don't have that issue to deal with. That doesn't mean you can't make a crappy RF lens, of course. It also doesn't mean that there are some superb SLR lenses that work great wide open.

Skip