[OM] Mysterious F280

Subject: [OM] Mysterious F280
From: Thomas Mueller <thomu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:17:48 +0200
Once and for the first time I really try to contribute something to the
list, the traffic of which is really too much compared to the time I can
spare to read it (at work).

About the Full syncro mode of the F280: I am really stunned how well it
works (on OM4Ti body in AUTO mode, of course, with various lenses from 24
to 80 mm).

I was recently for a short vacation on the Baltic Sea where it is rather
fresh this time of the year, but the sun was shining and the light was very
intense as my handheld light meter as well as the light meter in the camera
told me (reading was usually for 100 ASA negative film, f8, 1/500). I took
some ordinary holiday pictures, mostly of my 16 month old son, practicing a
bit more with my OM gear, trying different lenses etc. With this little,
very mobile guy I did not have much of a chance to be picky about where the
sun stand. I had to shoot him (is that the way to say it in proper
English?) whereever the chance occured to get him into focus. Meaning, very
often the sun was in his back. I tried it with the compensation dial
without flash- not very good because the background was much too bright and
his face was still too dark. So, I put on the F280 in Full syncro TTL mode,
camera in AUTO, compensation set to zero, and let the camera do the math.
It worked great. The flash really helped a lot in backlit situations. Even
with 35 mm lens and his face close in a distance of about 50 cm, his face
was not overexposed and the background was well-exposed. In situations,
where the sun was coming more from the side, the flash also helped  a lot
to reduce the contrast a bit. All together, exposure on all frames was
great.

I am not experienced with scanning negatives and I do not have a webpage,
so I do not know how to show some of the pictures to the community. Any
advice?

Gruss,

Thomas