Re: [OM] When is a lens "too slow"?

Subject: Re: [OM] When is a lens "too slow"?
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:19:50 EDT
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The ones I've been looking at which are compact and still give great range
> (28-105mm) are like f3.5-f5.3 or something like that.
>
> Is that really dark?  Am I going to have to compensate (for hand held shots)
> with faster film and thus get reduced fineness on the film side, or else
> bring a tripod so I can use longer exposures and thus defeat the purpose of
> using a zoom lens as far as carrying convience??

Basically, yes. A 'slower' zoom IS a trade-off. It depends on your shooting
style, your subjects, and the lighting if you'll be satisfied. There's no one
'cookie-cutter' answer here, some of us use zooms, some of us wouldn't think
of using anything slower than a 2.8.  It sounds like you know already what
you have to trade-off in your style of shooting or the film involved, but
it's not as bad as you or I make it sound, either. Unless you're doing
'avaiable light' (in dim light) shooting, you may not be bothered too much.

George S.