Re: [OM] Film and travel

Subject: Re: [OM] Film and travel
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:38:12 +0100
Joe Gwinn wrote:

> I always insisted upon manual inspection of film at airports, because when I
> challenged the people running the carry-on baggage scanner to tell me what
> the radiation dose was, they always danced, or made irrelevant threatening
> noises.  Sure it's low dose...  And, I have a bridge for sale, cheap...

My post-September 11th flight experience was to Australia and back via
Japan just before Christmas.  At each airport (Heathrow, Kansai, Mascot
and Narita) I had to scan my film, but every machine was labelled with a
maximum speed film that would be safe - 3200 at Heathrow, 1600 at both
Japanese airports and 1000 in Sydney.  It wasn't clear whether this
accounts for multiple passes at other airports or not, but almost all my
film was 100 speed anyway so I didn't worry.

> That said, this experience applies only to airports in the West, where good
> equipment is the norm.
>
> Joe Gwinn

As far as the less developed parts of the world go I've travelled in
Central America and Southern Africa, and on both journeys my films
survived OK, including a roll of 1600 speed in Africa.  And they were
just left in my main bag as well.  I had heard rumours that the machine
at Lusaka would destroy everything, but it seemed not to, thankfully.

I've been carrying out an impromptu experiment with another roll of Fuji
Super HG 1600 that I didn't use in Southern Africa - I have now also
taken it to La Palma and Australia without finding cause to use it, and
I'm going to Norway tomorrow, so I'll take it with me then.  It'll have
been scanned at least 10 times by the time I get it processed, so I'll
be very interested to see what's happened to it.  I'll make sure it's
not going to have anything crucial on it!

Roger