Re: [OM] A Cool Olympus Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] A Cool Olympus Camera
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:23:48 -0700
If you are good at distance estimation, the Olympus Six can be quite good,
but it do have some chroma at the corners.

I have two rolls of slides through my Six III A, below is a sample shoot
with Velvia
(~680K):

http://www.glink.net.hk/~photogrp/Six-1.JPG

I would say it is still very useful today, will shoot some more to show you.

BTW, my Six III A has very bad elements, coating marks and some separation
on the rear group, does anyone has a fault III A with good lens for sell?

C.H.Ling

C.H.,

Many Mamiya 6 cameras from the late forties and early fifties used an Olympus lens. Mine, for instance, has an Olympus Zuiko 75/F3.5 mounted in a Seikosha-Rapid shutter. A Mamiya like that might be easier to find and and the Zuiko lens would probably mount on your Six IIIA without too much trouble. Like you, I find the rendition of the lens to be quite pleasing. I would guess that it is a classic 4 element design that has yet to be improved on significantly for optical quality. Of course with folders there is always concern about the rigidity of the geometry for the support of the lens when it is extended.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA