Re: [OM] Kodak 25 ASA color print film - John Lind

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodak 25 ASA color print film - John Lind
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 13:56:25 -0500
At 13:26 4/14/02, Lee wrote:
Thanks John. Incredible that they all just dumped them like that. I guess I'd better buy up a whole case of Impressa before that vanishes too then.

Thanks again,
Lee

Lee,
There was an incredible uproar when Agfa dropped Agfapan 25 too (relatively recently). Agfa predicted enough stock to run through the end of last year, but failed to anticipate the hoarding that would occur. Remaining stock vaporized near instantly with a feeding frenzy of lifetime buy and speculator hoarding. The only remaining slow B/W with its level of resolving power is Kodak's Tech Pan, and it renders B/W differently (even when developed to optimize continuous tone) leaving the Agfa users quite irate.

At least Kodak didn't miss picking up on what happened with Agfa when they announced discontinuation of Kodachrome 25 a short time later. It continued to dribble into the supply chain and my guess is Kodak specifically held back on stocks to slow down the immediate hoarding frenzy that occurred. I have about a dozen rolls of Kodachrome 25 in the freezer. Got most of them as it trickled into distribution after the initial feeding frenzy slowed down.

[short rant]
IMHO, the demise of the slow films is a result of the ubiquitous P&S and Wunderziegel mondo 18-1000mm AF zoom lenses that are, by necessity of design, hideously slow. Add to that the equally hideously weak integral pop-up flashes they have. It has driven their users, who buy much more film than we do, into ISO 200 to 800 films just to make photographs outdoors on an overcast day or in open shade, and when indoors to get more than 6 feet of range out of their crippled integral flashes (doesn't fix their gross red-eye problems though).

-- John