Re: [OM] CF Tripod

Subject: Re: [OM] CF Tripod
From: w shumaker <rlist@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 20:15:11 -0400
I used to pack light with a Gitzo 026 also, and a small Kaiser ballhead.
The set screws would come loose on the Kaiser base, so I always had
to pack an allen wrench. Now I have a Gitzo 1228 (1227 may be better
but a bit longer when packing) with an Ultimate Balllhead, which keeps the
weight down considerably. Acratech (www.acratech.net) has a Velbon
630 with the top plate replaced and Ulitmate ballhead attached for less
than 3 lbs. I have not seen the Velbon CF legs though. The Gitzo is nice.
I guess I'm one of those that like it. I think the Velbon has quick release
and is cheaper than a Gitzo. Once you get the twist calibrated on the
Gitzo, it works great. Each leg is slightly bigger, so the same torque is
higher for what feels like the same tightness. If you do that, plus sequence
from smallest to largest when extending, and largest to smallest when
contracting, it works great. The ballhead is what made it for me though.
Any heavier ballhead made the tripod top heavy when attached to my
backpack. This ballhead balances in travel much better. I just made
a wood shim I can use to square up the ballhead. That is, the quick
release is parallel to the base plate. That helps in leveling for Panoramic
shots. It would not have been possible to do with my regular 3lb ballhead.

Wayne,

checking out for the next 12 days....