Re: [OM] The digital challenge Misc ramblings

Subject: Re: [OM] The digital challenge Misc ramblings
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 16:36:49 -0700
Miscellaneous ramblings about digital and film
Digital cameras can take really nice pictures.
They apply color balance and sharpening in the camera firmware before you see the picture. They can look better on a computer monitor at 1024x768 or smaller size than a high rez scan of 35mm that is inexpertly downsampled to that size. A decent .8mp (1024x768) or better camera's image will look better on the screen than a flatbed scan of a 4x6 consumer print.
I love my Canon S110 and have made beautiful 8x10 prints from it.

However,
There is much more detail in even a 2700dpi scan of 35mm (~2500x3800, 9.5mp) than current prosumer digital cameras. Film, at least negative film, has greater dynamic range than digital so far. It's easy to blow out highlights on many digital cameras. I usually have the Canon set to -2/3 EV to avoid this. Current digital technology has real problems with angles of view wider than about the equivalent of a 28mm lens on 35mm.

And,
Scanning is not difficult for *everybody*. I suspect those who speak up are those having trouble while those for whom it is working don't say anything. Scanning automatically processed 4x6 prints will seldom produce good results Doesn't matter how good the scanner is, the detail and dynamic range of the image on the print is the limiting factor. Also, automated printing equipment makes brightness and contrast descisions optimized for snapshots of people. I have awful looking 4x6 prints of negs from which I have taken wonderful digital images. Sky and cloud detail in landscapes is usually washed out to undifferentiated bluish white in automated prints. My Canoscan 2710 has worked flawlessly on color slide and negative film from the time I installed it. I also use Vuescan for the additional capabilities it brings over the Canon scanning software. My only complaints about film scanning are that it is time consuming and I sorta wish I'd waited until 4000dpi was cheaper (but then I'd need a new computer, too!) I prefer negative film for scanning for 2 reasons. First, the greater exposure latitude compressed into a lower Dmax gives considerably more flexibility in producing the final image (and covers more exposure errors). I have been known to intentionally underexpose a stop to get a faster shutter speed, which doesn't work with slide film. Second, noise in the scanner CCDs often requires multiple scanning passes to eliminate noise in dark areas when scanning slides. Careful comparison shows that this is not the case for the dark parts of negatives (light parts of the positive image), at least for skies and clouds on my setup, so only a single pass is needed for negatives, which speeds things up considerably.

About that picture,
It is well exposed and the color is nice. I see a subtle yellow cast in the skin tones that may not be natural/accurate, but it could be my monitor. Tweaking can often improve pics from digital cameras. 'course, I don't have to scan them first. The depth of field isn't bad, but the father's hair and the girl's forward elbow are both noticeably out of focus. However, this has nothing to do with digital vs. film, the same result may be achieved with either, depending on the degree of control afforded to and used by the photographer by the particular camera. Digital is very cool, and I love the immediacy, but there is nothing about this picture that a Stylus, IS-anything, or any OM with a T series flash shouldn't do as well or better. With a fast lens and/or fast film, and/or tripod, no flash needed and a better picture without all those highlights on the skin.

Moose

Brian Swale wrote:

Hi Zuiks,

A person in Thailand I am getting to know recently sent me a photo of himself and his two kids. I was amazed at the quality of what he sent, and mentally pictured me trying to do the job with my OM gear.

I asked him what camera he used for it and he said his lab has just got a digital camera for research purposes and he is using it as much as possible to get to know it. I'm pretty sure he doesn't use any software to modify the image. So what you see is what the camera took.

The shot can be seen at the link below. Be warned; it is a 275kb download about.

http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/images/TB-family.jpg

Ignoring for the moment that there is no modelling sidelight etc; it's all
front-
on lighting, the things that stand out to my mind are

1) fine detail (in Opera browser I can set the screen magnification to 2000r 300% and it still looks pretty good)
2) good colour
3) no extra tweaking required
4) very good depth of field.
5) Probably very quick.

When you consider the problems *everybody* seems to have with scanning - I'm a lurker in the ScanWit group, and the pain that I see people there go through to get a decent scan - to get the darned scanner to work even, is quite unreasonable.
Here he gets a pretty good result with NONE of that BS.

Consider also how important electronic transmission and display of images has already become and can only get more so. So trouble-free digitalisation of images becomes very important.

Regarding the photo above, many of us would struggle mightily to get the same detail, DOF and colour in a scan of this subject with a film camera. Many / most would not get there, I suggest. Me included.

I've noticed too the DOF and good colour of many of the better advertising shots on eBay, and once or twice I have asked the vendor what they used. Invariably, digital.

I'm not sure where this train of thought is leading; it's only half developed. I guess my subject title says it all.

Brian