Re: [OM] XA with 'sticky magnet'?

Subject: Re: [OM] XA with 'sticky magnet'?
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:41:58 -0500

"Daniel J. Mitchell" wrote:

> ... I can see two coils
> which are presumably the electromagnets (circled in the picture at
> http://www.danielmitchell.net/xa.jpg , 29k) -- is it the blue one or the
> black one that I want to be cleaning, and which bit actually needs cleaning?
> Which spring is the one described here:
>
> >be very
> >careful, however, that you don't dislodge the tiny little spring at the
> back of
> >the armature.

It's the black one, nearer the back of the camera.  You'll want to wipe the
faces of the armature and electromagnet -- where they touch, that is.  If you
reach in with a tiny screwdriver and pull the armature back the let it loose, it
should flip back against the electromagnet.  If you look very closely at the far
side of the armature (away from the electromagnet), you will see the end of a
tiny, hair-like spring -- that's what pulls the armature back to the
electromagnet.  If you're too vigorous in your cleaning, you can push the spring
off the back of the armature.  Just be careful to wipe only the faces of the
armature and electromagnet -- we use tissue wrapped around tweezers, like the
Olympus trainers from Japan, but if you roll a tiny bit of tissue around a small
screwdriver then flatten it, you will accomplish the same thing.  Then tip the
tissue in acetone and wipe carefully....