Re: [OM] Yosemite bound....

Subject: Re: [OM] Yosemite bound....
From: w shumaker <rlist@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:33:18 -0400
I'm headed to St John. You know you have too much stuff when it takes
you as long to decide on camera gear as it does for the significant
other to pick out her cloths. 90/2 or 50/2? My preference weight wise
is the 50/2. 200/4 or 180/2.8 - the 200/4 is more prone to camera
vibration, but the 200/4 fits in the bag easier, and with a 25mm
extension is great macro. I haven't tried the 180+25mm. The 200 mc is a
sharp lens when it is stable. I'm shying away from Velvia in favor of
provia 100f these days. Used to be Velvia or Astia over old provia 100.
400f with the 180/200/300, or even some of your favorite 400/800 print.
My primary use is in scanning, in which I prefer the Provia 100f the
most along with the batch slide feeder on the Nikon scanner. However,
if there is high contrast, new superia 100 or Reala is my choice. My
basic kit is 24/2.8, 50/2 (preferred) or 50/1.4, 85/2, 200/4, 25mm
extension, and 300/4.5, CF tripod with light weight head (< 3lbs).
Remove 300mm for lighter weight. Oh, and spirit level for panorama
stitching. The 50/2 has less distortion to correct when used for
stitching. The 90/2 is heavy, but if not hiking, sure why not take it
too? If you plan to do macro, you will probably want some flash.

I just obtained some split grad ND filters to help with the contrast
range for some situations.

Wayne