Re: [OM] 55/1.2

Subject: Re: [OM] 55/1.2
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 12:23:47 -0600
Doro wrote:
>Had a look at Gary Reeses tests - apparently silver nose is rare earth,
>black nose is non-rare earth...

Yes, it looks like the switch from rare earth to normal was right around
when they changed from silver to black noses, although it isn't known for
sure.  I've never seen a silver nosed version that didn't look like it
was also rare earth or a black nosed one that did.

>I wouldn't have thought that with SN 159*** mine would be a late version..

I don't know how many they made before switching over to the 50/1.2, but
that seems like a pretty high serial number to me.  I don't recall ever
seeing one over 200,000.

>Looks more yellowish than the 2.8/180 in any case...

It seems that the non-rare-earth versions still have the yellowish
coating.  The only other Zuiko known to use a rare-earth element is the
very early version of the 50/1.4.

Mark Marr-Lyon