[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3279

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3279
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 22:21:46 -0800

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 09:45:47 -0800
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Old Zuikos sharper than new Canon Zooms?

In a message dated 4/5/2002 Marc Lawrence writes:

<< The 28-70 2.8 L-series lens of Canon is one of the premier
zooms in Canon's EOS stable. >>

My first impression in Stephen's post was it was just a consumer grade
Canon AF 28-70 since nowhere did I notice it was mentioned to be a
"L-series" lens.

As you aptly pointed out in your post, "consumer zooms" tend to be junk
and I have to believe any Zuiko 50/1.8 in reasonably good shape would
blow one away in image quality. In fact, I think even a Stylus Epic or
Yashica T4 probably is better than a "consumer zoom" ;-)

Professional quality zooms become a much different situation and can
rival the image quality of primes in normal everyday shooting
conditions.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com

Mike, I think you're right, it was a consumer level 28-70, not a premier zoom.

Moreover, my original posting wasn't meant to be a scientific comparison of the sharpness or resolution of the two lenses. My friend Ian and I are both professional scientists, and he and I would grant that they nothing more than a simple, *subjective* observation. It was merely that Ian has seen a no. of my slides taken my Zuiko lenses and has commented a couple of times now that slides taken with his new EOS3 compatible lenses just don't look as sharp. Just for everyone's info, his stuff and mine were both taken hand-held. More to the point (which no one seems to have picked up on) was that I think he is getting interested in OM cameras and lenses now, having seen my photos. I think he is wondering why he bought this wonderbrick with the quality of photos he's seeing from it. He has one of my OM-1s and the 50 and 28, so he is going to do some side by side comparison, just for giggles. Knowing Ian's penchant for care in his experiments, while it will not be a scientific, objective laboratory test, it will prove interesting none-the-less.

-Stephen Scharf

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!