Re: [OM] Re: Vivitar Series 1

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Vivitar Series 1
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:23:28 +0000
on 4/5/02 10:22 PM, Skip Williams at skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Aso, I don't think that ANY of the early Series 1 lenses are not very
> clearly marked.
>
> Here's the original list:
> 24-48mm f3.8 zoom
> 35-85mm f2.8 zoom
> 70-210mm f3.5 zoom
> 90-180mm f/4.5 zoom (flat field)
> 28mm f1.9 prime
> 90mm f2.5 Macro prime with 1:1 converter
> 135mm f2.3 prime
> 200mm f3 prime
> 600mm f8 mirror
> (solid cat)
> 800mm f/11 mirror
> (solid cat)

Wow, I went down the list and I have six of them... All say "Series 1"
(note, the numeral 'one') on the front ring (or side of the lens) where they
indicate focal length, apertures, etc. All these lenses are solid metal,
very heavy, and most feature "VMC" multi-coating (nice blue letters for that
bit). They are sharp lenses, and not all that expensive (well, some are a
bit more than others). Later 'Series 1' lenses seem to have more plastic
construction, have the 'Series 1' name plastered all over the lens, and are
a lot lighter. Whether or not they are less sharp I don't know as I don't
have any of the later ones...

Vivitar even made some well regarded lenses that are not 'Series 1'... I
stumbled on to a Vivitar 70-300/4.2-5.8 lens for very cheap in Pentax K
mount, then saw reference to it rating '4.2' on a Photodo MTF ranking, which
is quite a bit into the top range. I wouldn't mind finding one of those in
OM mount... It might be a good motorcycle race pictures lens. The lens seems
to be mostly plastic, so I guess they got the glass right for as long as it
holds together...
--

Jim Brokaw