Re: [OM] International role call - just out of curiosity

Subject: Re: [OM] International role call - just out of curiosity
From: Sue Gregson <sue@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:01:05 +0100
Hi
I'm in Bradford, UK. Been taking photos since I was given a Kodak instamatic (which is in box somewhere) when I was about 9. I've had various other bits and pieces along the way which I enjoyed using at the time, Fed rangefinder, Zenit TTL, Polaroid thingy and a big favorite was a Chinon CE4 with a 100mm Pentax macro lens. But when I had enough money I bought a OM-2sp back in 1980's (I think). I've managed to add and OM-1N body and more lenses than I realised I had since then. I do have a Minolta maxxum which has it's uses though the glass doesn't match the zuikos. Even got a Canon G2 for digital stuff - ironically this has not made me move to ditch film but it's really sparked my interest in photograph after a few years laps and introduced my 10 year old to the joy of picture making. Have to say I like the immediacy of the Canon but my first love is film and my 2sp.

Before my kids I used to do lots of sports photography and (sadly) recently had cause to look at the whole lot of them again - I'm pleasantly surprised at the no. of good action photos in there. Small kids have changed the emphasis of what and when I shoot now, can't spend a whole afternoon doing something as 'boring' as taking pictures! My new year resolution was to take the kind of pictures that I want to - not just those featuring my little tribe - it's kind of working though not quite as much as I'd like.

My 2sp has been well used/abused over the years. It managed to survive with only a dint in the brass casing when the camera strap gave way with a 300 f4.5 was attached and it landed on the lens. Lens survived with only a busted UV filter, both have worked fine for another 10+ years. Can't fault the rugged design that went into these. Got a Tamron 90mm 2.5 macro lens - reminiscent of that old pentax lens I had all those years ago. It's been a real godsend to getting me out and taking pictures - it actually serves as a portrait lens very effectively, shot the best kid pics in ages with it. I found this list a few weeks ago and have truly enjoyed reading it.

Favorite current stuff - OM-2sp (after more years than I want to remember I can't shake liking this camera), my trusty 300mm f4.5, tamron 90mm f2.5.

Projects - Putting together a portfolio of my best work (well the ones I like the best) - to act as a benchmark for the future and to remind me of what I have done. Scanning all my grandfather's negatives - 1000+, to have an archive accessible by all the family as most of these are 50+ years old. Would love to do more indoor stuff but a flash on my 2sp just eats batteries - her one failing I'm afraid. Trying to get outside more and do landscapes

Recent successes - recent zoo trip saw me manage to get a good shot of the tiger's teeth - when I get round to it I'll put it up on the web for your comments. My 10 year old managed a good Red Panda shot (with the Canon) - from little acorns....

Cheers
Sue Gregson