Re: [OM] differences in f stops

Subject: Re: [OM] differences in f stops
From: "Ron Ashford" <Ron.Ashford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 21:13:31 +1200
Malcolm Clay wrote:

> Okay, somebody who knows better speak up and correct my
misinformation...but
> I thought the f-stop reading on zooms were either an "average" or at one
> specific point on their zoom range -- due to the variable geometry of
their
> lens groups. (yes? no?)

Interesting point. Yes, I did vary the distance, but did find that distance
did not make even a 1/4 f stop difference (when metering a normal setting
rather than a plain wall, I find that being in or out of focus can make a
metering difference of 1/2 an f stop or more).

However, the point you raise about distance is interesting and I 'd love to
hear more from others, but thinking about incidence light meters (and also
flash meters), do you not meter at the subject being photographed and not
the camera lens?

Ron