[OM] MF scanners, now going OT

Subject: [OM] MF scanners, now going OT
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 22:13:41 +0000
Winsor

You make a good point: what do we want from a scanner?  In fact, I
believe that this scanner is quite adequate for producing scans for
prints.  Its competitor, the Canoscan D2400UF is certainly good for
MF scans to print according to Amateur Photographer 2 weeks ago.
They both have integral transparency adaptors and the Canon has a
system for holding negs flat.  AP recognised that film scanners were
the best system for scanning 35mm negs/slides, but reckoned that the
Canon was perfectly OK for MF slides/negs (at 4800ppi).

I have scanned a 645 neg using my current flatbed, an Epson 1250, at
2400ppi, and I have put it at:
http://www.threeshoes.co.uk/comment/Photo_Comment.html

You can see that I have been playing with Extensis PhotoFrame as well
(bought it in a promotion...).

As always, comments are welcome - on composition, exposure, subject,
colour, Photoshop expertise (or not), frame or web placement ;-).
The occasion was a very cold day during a weekend break in Normandy.
We stayed in an "Le Relais des Dalles", an Auberge de France (3
hearths, therefore pretty good), in a village called Sassetot Le
Mauconduit - complete with lovely old chateau.  The food was
wonderful, the wine expensive and the weather sunny for the most
part.  My wife was happy to play with pebbles on the foreshore while
I played with my MF rangefinder on a tripod...

OM content: I had my SUV OM carrier with me, so there were more OM
photos taken than Bronica :>).

Chris

p.s. is my apple coming out as well as yours?
cb