Re: [OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:11:43 -0700
At 05:34 PM 29/03/2002 +0000, Kierstin wrote:
>"To get the full range from bright to dark you may need a
>24 or even a 21.", what does this mean?

The true "impact" of a sunset, for some people, is the amazing contrast between
the brightness of the actual sun (and any clouds, if applicable) and the
darkness of the sky at angles up to 90 degrees away from the sun itself.  You
can't capture that wide an angle with a telephoto, but you can with a
wide-angle or extreme wide-angle lens, like (say) a 21mm (which has, I believe,
a 92-degree field-of-view, or just over a quarter of the sky).

>Someone also mentioned earlier about using lower film like 50 or 100, I am
>assume that this means instead of the 200 that I use at present, also said
>something about slide film (I didn't realise that you used different film to
>make slides).

Yes indeedy.  Most slide films from Kodak end with the word-fragment "-chrome"
(i.e., Ektachrome, Kodachrome, Verichrome Pan, etc.), whereas other
manufacturers just have their own names for 'em (i.e., Fuji, with its Velvias,
Sensias, Astias, etc.).  Because of the popularity of Kodak products in times
past, many photographers simply refer to slide films as "chromes," while others
call 'em "transparencies" (for obvious reasons) or "reversal films" (because
the process to make a slide film is sort of "reversed" from negs, and of
course, you get a positive image from a slide, rather than a negative image, so
it's the "reverse" of print film).  And, of course, "slides."  ;-)

>Would I be able to buy this film from any retailer or do I need a special
>supplier?

Well, can't speak for Britain, but here in Canada, most good retailers sell
consumer-grade films as slow as ASA 100, and both slide and print film.  These
should be sufficient for your needs for quite awhile (pro films are more
expensive, though not outrageously so).  Semipro or pro shops sell the truly
high-quality stuff, like Fuji Velvia (!).  Even a city the modest size of
Edmonton (just shy of a million people) has a few pro shops around.

Poke around on Kodak's, Fuji's and (perhaps) Agfa's websites to get an idea of
the different kinds of film available, as well as some of their uses.  And for
black and white, besides the above sites, also go to Ilford's -- they make some
of the most innovative B&W films, IMHO.  By the by, you can also get black and
white *slide* film (though it's rare).  And you can even process B&W neg film
as slide film, if you know what you're doing.

Have fun!

Garth