Re: [OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses/TOPE police thots

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Sunsets and long-focus lenses/TOPE police thots
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:00:30 -0400
Paul wrote
snip
>As for the question of "Can I get good sunset pictures with a decent
>off-brand 35-70, the answer depends on what kinds of pictures you are
>trying to make.

snip

>My best sunset picture, the one people look at and
>exclaim, or ask for a copy of, was taken with an Oly Stylus.
>Composition and color often trump perfect sharpness and resolution
>for such pictures.

paul

I agree on that one. My best sunset picture was taken just last fall with my
Olympus RC rangefinder, 42mm lens, vertical shot. It took all the width to
get the almost perfect reflection of the sunset in the lake. But that is
unusual for sunsets. My favorite length for sunsets is the135mm; quite
affordable too.

On another note, I got another excellent chance for a TOPE entry just this
morning. I hope it looks as good on film.  Limiting oneself to a time frame
is a good discipline. Even though the TOPE police granted me a bit of
amnesty and stretched the dates at my request, I decided to go strictly with
the original rules for my own benefit. I just decided I'd sooner submit even
a lesser photo, if I had to, but stick to the spirit of the TOPE rules.
However, the TOPE police should know that this has cost me extra rolls of
film this week. :-)
Wayne