Re: [OM] which wide angle to get??

Subject: Re: [OM] which wide angle to get??
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 21:34:57 -0500
At 21:15 3/27/02, you wrote:
Depends on how you see the world.  I haven't used my 28 since I got a 24 -
so it suits me much better.  Others have different experience.

Gary Edwards

people, places, flight at http://home.attbi.com/~garyetx/

Gary's right. If you happen to have an opportunity to compare the two, do so. A couple of notes about both lengths; currently have a 24/2 and used to have a 28/3.5 SC:

28mm:
A common series found in camera bags is 21mm, 28mm, 50mm. A little closer to the 35mm in perspective behavior than the 21mm, it's more forgiving and doesn't require as much care in composition, especially with the perspective lines of room interiors and building exteriors. Fills the gap between 21mm and 50mm nicely. Consideration is you already have a 35mm.

24mm:
Another common series found in camera bags is 18mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm. A little closer to the 21mm than the 35mm in perspective behavior, it's less forgiving with perspective lines. I noticed this difference immediately after buying the 24mm and selling the 28mm. Since then I've become accustomed to working with it and watching perspective lines closer. (Also having the 18mm and its very unforgiving nature with perspective lines helped.) Fills the gap between an 18mm and 35mm nicely. If you've gotten accustomed to working with the 21mm and how it renders perspectives, you should have no problem with this length; similar, but much less radical.

Considering you already have the 35mm, I might lean more toward the 24mm length.

-- John