Re: [OM] OT: Lenses for Travel - My Experiences

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Lenses for Travel - My Experiences
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:22:10 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 10:39:46PM -0700, Matt Crawley wrote:

<SNIP>

> Hi Matt,
>
> here just my thoughts about:
>
> You were carrying 5 lenses+ converter, total a range from 24-270mm with 7-8
> focal-lenghts to change..... your selected lenses are pretty close together.
> It seems you`ve tryed to cover the whole range without gap. to have always the
> suitable focal lenght.
> I know it can be pretty narrow in european cities,

It's called "charming" not "narrow", you see ;)

> and there is often something ugly next to your subject.

Would that be a tourist? ;)

(PLEASE notice the *smiley*)

> In this situation a zoom is IMHO a better choice too.
> Altough I prefer shooting with primes I like my 35-105 for this reason.

<SNIP>

I've got the 35-105, and it's a nice lens. However....

...it takes almost as much space as the 24/2+85/2 combo, which I really
prefer. Those two are my regular "travel companions" when I go on any
regular business-trip, and I usually find that they make for what I
need.

In fact, I find that non having a grand selection of focal lenghts
available makes me more aware of what photos I take - and definitely of
"getting the most of a situation". In most cases, stepping forward /
backward / sidewards is all it takes. And personally, I actually find that
forcing me to "think rather than just zoom" makes me take better
photos. It's not because of any significant optical quality-differences
between a prime and a zoom, as much as it is the required exercise of my
brain that makes the difference, I think.

Of course, if I anticipate that I will go somewhere where there are
special conditions, I will select additional equipment. E.g. if I have to
go where there are potentially wild animals, I'd bring something longer -
and so on.

But in general, I'd say just take a "moderate tele" and a "moderate wide
angle" and you'd be set for most of your photographic needs.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering

  E-Mail: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx